Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Joined the Club

Okay I'm in serious need of some knitting guru help. I am a moron. This is not new news. However, I can add another reason for this esteemed quality to my list. I failed to purchase enough yarn for Sister's Banff, A LOT less yarn. The pattern requires something like 700 yards. How many did I get? 524 yards. Moron. To my credit...the yardage on label is off on the Araucania Nature Wool Chunky. However, it’s not ~175 yards off. The most embarassing part? I actually brought a calculator with me to the store!

I had such a difficult time imagining that I actually did this that I spent part of the evening digging through my growing pile o' yarn thinking that I must have lost it. Then I remembered...there is proof in the pudding. The pudding is my blog and the proof is this picture:



Remember the Columbus Day Windsor Button Sale and this stash? Count the pinky skeins. Count them again. Get out your calculator. Punch in the number you count, the multiplication button, and then the yardage (131). What do you get? 524. Moron.

This morning I made the call. I am now one of those, "I didn't purchase enough yarn" callers. Windsor Button has come to the partial rescue of my moron soul. They have two skeins of the same dye lot. This is barely enough if the yardage was right and if I wasn't using A LOT of yarn on just one sleeve.

Pray tell, what do I do now? I know that I can get the same color different lot at another LYS. Should I get those skeins too? The skeins are hand-dyed…does this make a difference? How do I integrate them into the sweater? Do I just give up? Do I forage ahead and hope for the best? I think I could alter the neck if needed. I'm just about done with one sleeve at this point, a sleeve that took a long time to knit because I had to frog just about every hour. I abhor the thought of ripping the whole thing out and choosing a different yarn (frankly, I can't afford it either).

Help?!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margene is right. Using an off dyelot, alternate every two rows and you'll be fine. If you're really worried, purchase a few skeins in the wrong dyelot and do it this way if you have to. BUT! Remember that the sleeves on Banff are HUGE, so they will take up a lot of yarn. It's possible that a single sleeve will use as much as the front or back. Many people have made this sweater. Check out the Knitty board (coffee shop) and Blue Blog Alison's blog to see if anyone had issues with yardage. I vaguely remember there being a mistake in the pattern in the sleeve area, but since I haven't Banffed yet myself (it's only a matter of time!) I can't tell you exactly what the problem was. Good luck - you'll make it!
Mind of Winter Julia
P.S. Thanks for commenting - I wondered how many people would actually make it to the end of my post!

10/27/2004 5:26 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I have another friend who bought some Araucania at the same sale and found that the yardage was way less than what the label claimed. I think he's looking on Ebay for additional yarn.
http://www.what-happens.com/blog/2ktog/archives/2004/10/omars_bad_day.html

Good luck with the Banff! I'm making a 3XChic myself, after I realized I didn't have enough yarn for a Banff.

10/29/2004 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home