Thursday, October 28, 2004

Love those Boston Idiots

I'm gonna tell you a story
I'm gonna tell you about my town
I'm gonna tell you a big bad story, baby
Aww, it's all about my town

Yeah, down by the river
Down by the banks of the river Charles (aw, that's what's happenin' baby)
That's where you'll find me
Along with lovers, fuggers, and thieves (aw, but they're cool people)
Well I love that dirty water
Oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, you're the Number One place)
Frustrated women (I mean they're frustrated)
Have to be in by twelve o'clock (oh, that's a shame)
But I'm wishin' and a-hopin, oh
That just once those doors weren't locked (I like to save time for
my baby to walk around)
Well I love that dirty water
Oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, yeah)

Because I love that dirty water
Oh, oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, yeah)

Well, I love that dirty water (I love it, baby)
I love that dirty water (I love Baw-stun)
I love that dirty water (Have you heard about the Strangler?)
I love that dirty water (I'm the man, I'm the man)
I love that dirty water (Owww!)
I love that dirty water (Come on, come on) [fade]

-Song: Dirty Water by the Sandells

What an exciting night. Others will tell the story better than me, so I’ll leave it to them. The perspective of victory in our house is different among each of us. For me it represents fair play, community, faith, and good clean fun. In an election year with promises, confrontations, lies, and war this is a welcome intersection of joy and faith. I’m not sure that it represents anything particularly American, just human. To see people hugging and crying and screaming in the streets – it’s hard not to be joyous. There is nothing holding anyone back, not race, politics, or money. Bostonians have carried this weight for so many years it is tied into the psychology of the city. As I’ve said in other posts, I’m not sure you can understand it until you live here (at least I didn’t, and I’m not even a huge sports fan). It’s one of the biggest (if not the biggest) sports cities in the nation. We have four professional teams in each of the major leagues. People are crazy about it. Games are packed during the regular season. Red Sox fans have been loyal and undying. For God's Sake it’s been 86 years!! As my coworkers 14-year old son said, “This is the best day of my life; but think about how happy all the old people must be.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't have said it better myself, Wendy! :>

~ Erin

10/28/2004 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home