Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Chunky Tut

Thank you for the fine compliments on the scarf. Do you believe it is the first scarf that I have knit for myself? And, to answer the question, how did Rob feel about a yarny wedding gift? My man is so fine he did not even blink an eye. He did, however, forbid yarn on the honeymoon. Honestly, I did not mind a bit. Small sacrifices, you know?



High on my selfish knitting (Christmas? When? What? Who's talking? Where is that voice coming from?) and lured by the yarn stores of New York City and Rowan Chunky Print I decided to knit myself a hat. Easier said than done.

Hat for Wendy


Progress?


My head is big but the hat is bigger, rip and reknit baby.



Alas, success.


The yarn is Rowan Chunky Print (100% Wool, 109 yds, 100g colorway Shriek SH0081, purchase at Seaport Yarn (site not working at publication), $13.50) I made up the pattern using size 11 needles. I normally push up a needle size from the recommended because I knit tightly. For this hat I wanted a tighter gauge (tighter gauge = warmer hat.) The yarn is think and thin and I was afraid holes would come out. It took me two tries, the result was totally worth it. A quick knit (each version took me a night) and this yarn is yum. The colors and cute, the fabric is soft and it is holding up really well!

My favorite part? The pom-pom of course. My first pom, ahhh.. Everyone needs a little pom in their life.

The ornament in the back of that last picture? That is me - age 3. How cute am I? I loved that necklace I'm wearing. I am pretty sure I was talking to my dad on the phone, he was at work. Although, that may not be true, because he usually was the one taking pictures, not my mom. I'll have to ask. I made this ornament for my mom when I was a wee one. It is mounted on a canning jar top with felt and yarn to hold it on the tree. My mom has this wonderful tradition of giving us an ornament each year. She has done this since I was very little. Her idea was that this would give us lots of ornaments to populate our own trees with! This year is the first year that I have had them. Rob and I had so much fun going through them as we decorated. This was his favorite.


Bookish Wendy, 1979

-~-

Awhile back someone left me an anonymous comment with a question about The Big Sack sweater. If you are still looking for help please let me know. I cannot trace emails from comments, especially when they're anonymous. ;)



17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw Man, look what a cutie you were! And still are I might add. Love the pom.

12/13/2005 8:00 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Cara's right - a cutie pie!!

12/13/2005 8:15 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

Hmmm. I wonder if my mom would be as thrilled with a homemade ornament of me as a wee one with beer on the tray of my high chair. . . that actually might be funny. And I love the hat! I must have a pom-pom for myself soon...

12/13/2005 8:49 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I love the photo frame ornament!

12/13/2005 9:21 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Love the hat. I am still incapable of producing a decent pom pom.

12/13/2005 10:23 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

love the hat here too -- cute tree backt here. and ornament. and you of course.

12/13/2005 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason the fact that you are on the phone in that picture cracks me up.
Who were you calling?

12/13/2005 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, you are too freakin' cute! Old and young alike!

LOVE the hat!!

12/13/2005 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such a cute '79 wendy ornament!!! pom pom hat...you go girl!

12/13/2005 12:17 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I... um... er... St. Nick! St. Nick does the same thing for my girls -- a new ornament every year and for exactly the reason you gave and I'm so happy to see that it works as planned! I had a blast listening to them unpack their ornaments and hang them on the tree this year (added bonus -- won't last long). Katie made one in preschool with her picture pasted on a fuzzy, blue paper heart, the picture framed in white rick-rack, and her name spelled out and glued on in alphabet soup letters! I think everyone should have one of those!

You could not be cuter, Wendy dear. Thanks for sharing.

12/13/2005 1:00 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Great hat...love the pom action! ;)

My mom used to do that ornament thing, too, but now we have so many, too many for our tiny little tree. Oh well, they're fun to look at though.

12/13/2005 2:50 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Such a cute hat. I love that you are on the phone at age 3 in the picture!

12/13/2005 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tee-hee. That pom pom is tres Bookish.

12/13/2005 4:05 PM  
Blogger AngeliasKnitting said...

Love the hat! Someday (soon) I will be brave and attempt to make a hat...

Love the ornament too! Great idea your Mom had.

12/13/2005 5:27 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

weren't u adorable?!?! i'm glad u made a hat for yourself amidst all the holiday knitting.

12/14/2005 12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pomp pom, and the hat. And, my folks have an ornament just like that, that i made for them in, maybe, 4th grade? My mom won't share any of my childhood ornaments with me, tho, bah humbug!

12/14/2005 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, see... this is not going to help stop me from blowing MY top today! In 1979, I was in college.

Cute photo, great (as always) knitting.

Now, where did I leave that cane?

12/14/2005 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home