Saturday, January 21, 2006

You are the light of my life...

Getting back into writing after such a long break is difficult. I love this outlet. But, for some reason it takes a bit to bring me to the keyboard.

Moving on...

Many thanks for the comments recommendations and "hell yah's" in the comments from my last post. I cannot even begin to tell you how cool it is to know that there are other bookish types out there. I suppose it is no secret to you that these types were the kids in grade school that were "different" or "strange" or, according to my perception, "evolutionary higher beings who preferred reading books to flicking boogers at the teacher." (Btw, I have no pinky toenail (okay, almost no pinky toenail), no wisedom teeth and no eye teeth. Someone once told me that these were all signs that I had evolved further than the average human being. While I have nothing to substantiate this (google-fu brought me nothing but freeks) I have heard this is a legitimate sign from more than one person. Which means it must be true.)

All I have to say is, you are safe here my friends. We welcome all bookish types and those that love them.

And on to a completely unrelated topic:

Tools are the love of my life (sorry honey). I love tools and gadgets and things. Good design makes my body hum with pleasure (really sorry honey). I am a sick, sick person in need of a hobby to fully express my love of all gadgetry. Oh! Knitting! The gadgets are unbelievable. The bent darning needle? Genius! The row counter? Love of my life! Stitch markers? Hold my heart together.

Some people hoard yarn. Me? I hoard gadgets. Shall I give you a tour of my favorites? No? Bore you to tears, huh? Well, I'll spare you.

For now I'll just share my most favorite tool/gadget acquisition of 2005. A Christmas gift from my parents:

A head lamp.

I love you head lamp. You keep me happy while I knit at night and my "30 years old in 41 days" eyes love you the mostest. My dear sweet husband who likes to watch movies in the dark loves you too. Oh, and the baby sweater you helped me knit? She loves you too. The only thing I don't love? Your lack of protective oil soaking padding. I had to improvise with a tissue.
Dork. Dork. Dork.


Here is the sweater I was working on in that photo, now finished and wrapped waiting for my next foray to the post office of doom:

Picture taken with Robby's new tool/toy - a wide-angle macro lens.


Yarn: Rowen Soft Baby and man, is it soft, baby. (Yarn gifted to me by my P.O.C. Elisa)
Pattern: Child's Placket-neck Pullover from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson(make sure to check the errata out for this book!
Overall loved knitting this. The yarn is fabulous. Soft. Strong. This is just one of the reasons why I have had a recent love affair with Rowan (all I have to say is, THIS is why people spend my annual salary to knit a sweater out of this yarn! I. get. it.) It does stretch a whole bunch with blocking. One compliant, the pattern does not come with button holes as an option. I had to do some maths (excel spreadsheets are so damn fun) to place them and viola.... pretty little buttons for a babe to be.




34 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Adorable sweater and very sweet buttons!

1/21/2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Knitting gadgets! Love gadgets! Must have.

Very cute sweater.

1/21/2006 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sweater, it's ever so cute. And the buttons, so sweet!

1/22/2006 2:37 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I love headlamps too.

1/22/2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

i may have to get a headlamp myself. j doesnt' appreciate dorks though (well i guess he kind of does since he did marry me) but if i wear the head lamp, i will never hear the end of it.

love the sweater and the little rabbit buttons are the cutest things.

1/22/2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

What a pretty, pretty sweater. Love the head lamp.

1/22/2006 9:30 AM  
Blogger Sanders said...

Love the lamp! And the sweater, very very cute!

1/22/2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

You are THE most adorable geek ever. Ever, ever, ever! Very cute sweater -- and the buttons are adorable!!

1/22/2006 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute...I love those buttons--Granny has a ton.

1/22/2006 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those buttons! I've used the Mother Goose ones, but have also been tempted by Peter Rabbit. So incredibly cute.

I need to get one of those headlamps for midnight garden patrol...

1/22/2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger Brenda in Toronto said...

hee hee .. de-lurking here (but I visit all the time!) to say i have webbed toes (2 sets!) - does that mean I'm more evolved too? Maybe, because I was bookish as a youngster too. I'd lose my mind with excitement the week I found out the Book Mobile was coming to our school!

Love the sweater :)

1/22/2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

your improvisation with tissue cracked me up!! i wonder if there is a way, avec glue gun or somesuch, make a washable headband for the headlamp? a small sleeve of sorts? sadly, my proof of evolution resides in very small short pinkies (both toesies and fingers).
i love the baby sweater! those buttons made me bite my tongue they were so cute!

1/22/2006 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is super adorable my freakish one. I love you and I'm all about the head lamp.

1/22/2006 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh cool! Thanks for reminding me to search for my booklight batteries. :) But no thanks for confusing me about a baby sweater I'm about to knit. I think. Hm, that Soft Baby is nice but still handwash. Okay, I hope you enjoyed this decision-process-in-your-comments, I'm sticking with the Koigu baby sweater after all.

1/22/2006 3:47 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

I love the headlamp idea! My sweetie has a headlamp (for camping in the dark) and I am so going to steal it for knitting purposes.

The sweater looks so cozy. I love those buttons.

1/22/2006 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sweet! I love the buttons. I hope to make that sweater for my nephew at some point. Great job!

-Niki

1/22/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Beautiful sweater! And I love gadgets too :) My new favorite is the swift that I have been lusting over forever!

1/22/2006 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to see you today :-) Love the headlamp. What an adorable sweater -- so many cute cute baby knits!!

1/22/2006 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've often thought of getting a headlamp, especially for car knitting at night (not that i do that all that often, but i don't really need *much* of an excuse).

those buttons are too cute!

1/22/2006 11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tee hee - headlamp. Rock on, yo.

The buttons are really freakin' cute, too. GO you!

1/23/2006 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love those buttons. As for the head lamp, that's on my wish list. Hee hee.

1/23/2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Love the headlamp! What a great idea! I might just have to get one, for the next time I have insomnia...

1/23/2006 10:01 AM  
Blogger Sneaksleep said...

Might have to look into getting me one of those headlamps. Because I'm not already dorky enough. Great meeting you on Sunday at Claudia's!

1/23/2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

Love the sweater, love the headlamp! :) And the buttons are just amazing. Where did you find those?

1/23/2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

Oh, those are such cute buttons.
:)

1/23/2006 7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Headlamp. Awesome. Totally need one of those!!!

Those buttons are freakin adorable! Well done on the sweater!

1/24/2006 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no wisdom teeth myself, though I do have some vampirish eyeteeth- am I moving up the charts too??

Those buttons are the cutest thing, ever.

Hmm, The Hubby has a headlamp for manly tool and home maintenance related stuff. Perhaps i'll have to co-opt it!

1/24/2006 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My God!!

Those buttons are just adorable, love them!!

:)

1/26/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That head lamp? RULES! I have a little light that hooks onto my ear...I use it when we're on long road trips so I can knit the whole way. Love it!

1/26/2006 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ME! I have *almost* no pinky toe. But I have (had) all my teeth. Does the pinky toe mean I'm part of the club? heh

Those buttons ARE. TOO. CUTE.

1/26/2006 1:45 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Those buttons are some of the cutest buttons I have ever seen!! The sweater is adorable as well. Good job! :)

1/26/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Yeah!! the buttons. The soft pink yarn. The head lamp! I have pinky toes, but occasionally I almost rip them off when I walk past a piece of furniture. Does that count?

1/27/2006 4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohh. Headlamp. What a great idea. My DH is always whining about how I have to have the light on during movies.
Also, good to know about the pinkie toenail. I'll have to let my mom know what we aren't all freaks after all. :D

1/27/2006 4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!

This is an older post but I still had to comment because I put a tissue under my headlamp too. My husband finds this completely hilarious.

It works though, no?

haha ;)

2/13/2006 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home