Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Turkey Talk

It is time to talk turkey. (Every wonder about the origin of that phrase? Me too. I love etymology. Blingo gave me this site right off (Blingo has yet to give me a prize though, stupid Blingo). It explains that the phrase comes from 1824. We have a lot of interesting phrases and slang in our language. I work with people who speak English as their second language and they have gotten used to asking me what certain things mean. I never realized how often I use slang and confusing phrases.)

Back to the turkey. Or the sheep. Or the sweater.

Here is the beauty in its full glory.

"post shower, pre hair dryer" hair


As I mentioned in my other post, bathing the yarn blocked into a much denser, softer fabric. Having done the requisite swatch-dunk I knew this ahead of time. However, I knit my swatch flat and knit the sweater in the round. My gauge definitely changed between the two which meant that I could not really trust my post dunk swatch gauge.

As you all know, I adjusted my pattern (with a fancy-pants spreadsheet) to my gauge as I knit. This was a fabulous plan that worked out great. Starting with the sleeves enabled me to make sure my body was spot on.

This was my goal:
Sleeve Length = 19.5"
Body Length = 15.0"
Width at Hips/Chest = 18.25" diameter, 36.5" circumference
Width at Waist = 16.7" diameter, 33.4" circumference.

And so it goes. It was exactly that until I blocked it (except for the width around the body, this was off and is a discussion for a different day).

You see, the requisite swatch-dunk that I did pre-project --- well, I missed the pre-block measure. Which meant I couldn't determine how or where the swatch changed gauge. Pre or post or post or pre. Poo or Poo

Anyway - blah blah blah. The blocked sweater was a bit shorter in the arms and the length than I intentioned.



Final word - Love the spread sheet. Will defo use it again. 13" is too short for a sweater for me (at least until I loose some chubs). Sleeves need to be at least 17" for me to be happy. A finished bust of 38" is a just about all right for a sweater of this type...but it could have gone smaller and still would have been way okay.

Bored yet? I am. On to bigger (and better) things.


Clarification: In one of my previous posts I stated that my I used size US8 needles, which was a US9 to normal people. First of all, I misspoke. You see have a problem with remembering whether or not I need to go up or down a needle size. Much like I have a problem alphabetizing things (I always need to recite the entire alphabet to figure out if r goes before or after t). I always need to go up a needle size. My sentence should have said that I used size US8 needles, which was a US7 to normal people. To further clarify, I am a tight knitter and as a matter of practice always go up one needle size from the recommended size. Having said this, I knit a lot looser in the round so this may not totally be true in the case of this sweater.

You all weren't much help in figuring out my 3.2.1 for my 30 list. Atrophy of the brain is not an acceptable excuse. My girl Stitchy brought out the big guns...where are all of your snarky brain cells? Surely they have not disappeared?

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You - and the sweater - are GORGEOUS! I think it fits just perfect. You're looking very skinny, my love.

3/15/2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger EvaLux said...

I'm soooo happy I'm not the only one with the alphabet thing LOL. I entertain my coworkers often with my recitations of the alphabet (like when I have to file close to 1000 documents alphabetically which happens at least once a week... I have to file them on town names and in french the accented letters have their special place too hahahaha).
Cheers Eva

3/15/2006 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smashing Sweater!!

um, my brain cells? left the building. a few months ago. I don't know whether or not they plan to come back...but I've never been more stupid or forgetful in my life. it's kind of frightening.

3/15/2006 10:27 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Hi, I was blog surfing and came across you in your sweater.

Very nice! It looks so flattering, great job!

3/15/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger --Deb said...

Hey, I offered a suggestion! At least I tried....

3/15/2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

i read your post yesterday before coffee and never went back to post possible 3.2.1s and i'm nothing without my first cup of joe (which always makes me giggle since you know i'm married to a joe).

anyway. not nearly as snarky or as clever as stitchy -- but who is -- this is mine.

music that was popular in your teens and twenties is now popular again, except you can only find them on the "oldies" station.

and your old clothes are retro.

3/15/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

The sweater is divine! I love it!
As for the 3.2.1, I offer up this: fun bra shopping now that your (in the general you) boobs are "settling" into a new position and form.

3/15/2006 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks WONDERFUL but I'm feeling you on the chub/slightly too short dilemma. I'm wearing a handknit with some pants that seem to have shrunk recently. In fact, that brings us to why no "30 about 30" comments from me because I am currently blaming my chub on the theory that my metabolism is slowing, again. Sigh.
Anyway! Love the sweater and may need to steal the spreadsheet, as I'm newly addicted to them.

3/15/2006 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your sweater looks great!!
There was something else I was going to say, but hell if I could remember it now!! AURGH!!

3/15/2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Beautiful job, Wendy! :)

3/15/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger KateB said...

Too short? Whatever! It looks SOOOO good on you. This pattern is kind of weird and I've seen a lot of really bad variations on some people, but you've made it perfectly flattering. It's awesome! Love it like you should, Bookish!

3/15/2006 1:43 PM  
Blogger Irie said...

Your sweater turned out fabulous! I really like the neckline, and it does look great on you.

Regarding 3-2-1 about being 3-0, I can't think of anything very clever. I've started to have de ja vu feelings when I do certain things that I saw my mother doing when I was a child. I have two older sisters and that gives me 8 or 9 years advance warning on my aging process, which is pretty cool. :)

3/15/2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Gorgeous sweater!

Here's one:

Being 30 means you're old enough to know better...but still young enough to do it anyway ;-)

3/15/2006 11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure I want to be snarky when you can't see the face to interpret the snark.

Either you took a good disguised picture, or you are more aware of hippage and muffintops than I am. I like that length on you. I also NEED the spreadsheet idea. We must talk how to set it up (I'm a total spreadsheet idjit.)

3/16/2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Beautiful, beautiful sweater and you!

3/16/2006 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Intended lengths be damned, sweater looks great, and great on you!

3/16/2006 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the end... it all worked out smashingly!!! The fabric is divine, too, enjoy wearing it!

3/16/2006 8:52 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

It is wonderful!
:)

3/17/2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger benedetta said...

beautiful sweater!
I got lost in the technical details of measurements, but I can see that it pays to pay attention.
I just do not have the patience for it..

Happy belated birthday!

3/17/2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

Happy Belated 30!!

That sweater is fabulous & it looks like a good fit. A well deserved Gold Medal for a 16 day marathon knit.

You should refer to it as your Gold Medal Sweater.

3/17/2006 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home