Monday, May 15, 2006

Quiz Show

Let's talk quiz.

You all did pretty well. I kept all the questions within the realm of what an average reader could know if they paid a lot of attention. Having said that, I am notoriously horrible at coming up with information at the ding of a bell and have royally screwed up some of my friend's quizzes. Some of them I purposefully messed up just cause I thought it would be funny.

A few people did really really well. The Purloined Letter was the only one to get 100. I have to admit this freaked me a bit - because I wasn't aware of this person until this quiz. However, I emailed her and she had admittedly guessed on a bunch and got lucky.

Rob did well - only missing one (about the lace.) And Emily (my roommate from college took the quiz and obviously did well too. Most of the people that scored higher know me in real life (or have met me.)

I think this is so interesting. I am fairly open on my site. I am not so into self censorship. However, there are things that never make it to the pages, or when they do are mentioned in passing. It is interesting to compare these levels of intimacy. You all don't really know many of the things that I would say act to define me in real life- like my height) or my degree. But, you obviously know other things about me - like I am the funniest, wittiest, dorkiest, reading knitter out there. ;)


I laughed my ass off at a few answers.

1 - Cara thinks I'm 5'7". I am 5'3". Do you have any idea how much time I've spent standing next to, near, or in the same proximity of this woman? C - I may not remember what side of the bed you sleep on but I would likely guess your height.

2 - Cynthia thinks Rob is younger than me. He is 13 years older. Cynthia (in a blog worthy event that I failed to blog about) stayed with Rob and I earlier in the spring. She spent the night in our guest room - harassed by one of my four animals (she did get that question right.) She spend an evening with Rob and me, graciously taking us out to dinner. Now, I explain this not to mock Cynthia - even though it is pretty funny. But to demonstrate that age is defined by your attitude about life - not your body.

Rob is 13 years older than me. However, he often gets carded and behaves like a much younger person. He is full of life and humor and has a baby face to match. When we first started dating he nervously told me his age. I shrugged it off mostly because I wasn't thinking that our relationship would get serious. My mom was super excited to hear that I was with someone older she said, "Good he's got all the piss and vinegar out of him." That's my mom. Five years later and - we're married! The age difference doesn't show it self too often. Only when we talk about culture from our youths. My first concert vs his first concert. A concert I went to when I was young and the same concert he went to when he was old. But, that's fun stuff.


3 - Maryse thinking I was born in Berkley, CA. I was born in Dallas, TX. She said that she just couldn't bring herself to believe that I was born in Texas. Hehehe.

4 - Many, many, many of you thinking that my Master's degree was in English. So sweet. But really, I think if that was the case than my degree school should be burned. I am horrible horrible horrible with grammar. This should be abundantly clear to all of you. In fact, there are typos and grammar errors in the quiz! I am a bit old fashioned in that I believe English majors should be champions of the language they carry on their degree. My degree is in Geography. I concentrated on Water Resources and Ecology. My thesis focused on a species of fish in Northern Georgia. I relied heavily on statistics and tenacity. Somehow it worked, I earned a degree. Something I honestly never thought I would do.

There were others, these are the ones that float to the top at this minute. Thank you all for taking the time to learn more about me! I got a lot of amusement from this!

Here, for the record, are the correct answers with a bit of commentary.


1) In what city was I born?
a) Dallas "I'm really a redneck", Texas.
comment: My parents are from Upstate New York. My father works for a major company based there. In the early 1970's he was transferred to Dallas. They lasted about a three years. During that time I was born. Soon after my birth they transferred back home. That is where I was raised with my brother and sister.

2) Growing up what was my favorite thing to do?
d) Read
comment: duh! When asked my hobby I always got very embarrassed. I felt like reading wasn't really a hobby and that people would make fun of me. Poor kid. When I was very young, just about to turn 5, I would sit next to my mom on the couch while she read. I always had a book with me that I read too. Except, I did not really know how to read so I watch my mom for cues. When she turned her page - I turned mine!

3) How much older than me is my husband?
b) 13 years

4) How many animals am I owned by?
a) 4 - 2 dogs, 2 cats
comment: I introduced each of these beasties early in my blog's career. We have two cats: Kumar and FutureMan, and two dogs: Gabby, and Rya.

5) What is my middle name?
c) Lynn
comment: First name after a little girl my mom used to babysit for, middle name after my mom's best friend

6) If I could live anywhere in the world, which would I pick?
a) Water, Water, Water
comment: This was another one that most got wrong. I love the water. I grew up on and in the water. My childhood home is surrounded by lakes and we always had a pool growing up. I studied rivers in school and came into my first big girl job to perform research on rivers. The ocean is my solace. I would love to live on the water. We currently live about 15 minutes from the beach and just a few miles from two major East Coast Rivers (the Charles and the Neponset.) All other places I could take or leave (I do love the mountains) but water is the place for me.

7) I have a Master's degree in what subject
a) Geography

8) How many lace projects have I completed in my knitting life?
d) Ha! Yah, right.
comment: I have assembled all of the necessary tools to conquer this one. There is only one thing I'm missing - balls.

9) How tall am I?
c) 5'3"

10) How old was I when I learned to knit?
c) 27
comment: I think this is wrong. I think I was 28. Dang! I got my own quiz wrong.

12 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

excellent idea! commenting on your quiz and results. definitely something i have to do.

5/15/2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

Okay, I somehow missed that you're a Texan.

I, having lived there for 20+ years, am not, as I was born in New York. I am thus (according to Texans) a "Yankee". Even though I swear to high heaven that part of my DNA includes the make-up of salsa.

I am working up to lace. This summer, perhaps...

5/15/2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger Earin Marybird said...

Somehow I managed to miss the gist of your quiz. Okay, yeah, I can be pretty dumb at times. Say I was tired, it was late, I certainly wasn't paying attention. At least I entered stuff pertaining to me for the first few questions then it started to dawn on me - duh. I want to try again! I'm sure I could have score at least a 40!

5/15/2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

so, why you gotta call a girl out like that? :o)
in all seriousness though, I didn't think much about an age difference btw you and DH. I figured it was a trick question!!
as for lace. if I can do it, you can do it. borrow your DH's cajones and dive in!

5/15/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I know I got a few of these right - the water and the lace one, I think. Great comments on your quiz.

5/15/2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Did I do your quiz? I know I've done several of them and not done overly well, even on Margene's which everyone else aced.

Your English looks pretty good to me, especially set against the backdrop of the Internet at large. Please bear in mind that I am a professional editor and known at work for being picky. (It is my considered opinion that foreign-language majors as a rule know English better than English majors.)

5/15/2006 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, as always - this is a great idea! :)

I love your commentary about your quiz, and I'm totally gonna steal the idea.

And I knew your degree was a science degree, I just got the kind of science wrong. Damn.

5/15/2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

What fun! I just assumed that all bookish kids were 5'3", majored in things as close to 19th-century history as possible, etc. And yes, you're a great writer. Lots of energy in your posts.

5/16/2006 5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, I was too chicken to take anyone's quiz. I like the commentary, though. :) And the image of you sitting with your mom flipping pages with her.

5/16/2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Brenda in Toronto said...

delurking again to say 'brilliant!' such a great way for your readers to get to know you. (you look at least 5'9" in pictures! seriously!)

and i have the same age difference with my my guy, only i'm the older one! he keeps me young :)

5/16/2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Reading is my hobby too, well, besides the new knitting hobby! But reading is my first hobby love. When I was little I used to walk around the house with my book. I also freaked out my babysitter when I was 2 because I "read" Peter Rabbit to her. She was crazy impressed until my mom told her I had the book memorized. Oh well.

5/17/2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

This quiz thing is a neat idea:)

5/18/2006 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home