Sunday, June 04, 2006

Chi·ra·gra - A knitters worst fear

I am a creature of habit. The laws of physics practice their ways on me. I blog blog blog and then I stop stop stop. No reason. Busy as always. Just out of the habit.

As a way of reentering my world. Here's what's up:

Readin':
Just finished Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. I read it for my bookclub and really enjoyed the novel. Something I learned: Slut's Wool. My original thought on the definition wasn't too far off from the actual. However, I believe mine (which you can guess by firmly placing your head in the gutter) is more amusing. As an alternative definition, I can't help but think this is what all those little crap pieces of yarn strewn about the house should be called.

I'm now settling into The Eight by Katerine Neville, a gift from Elisa. I had started Wuthering Heights by "one of those damn Bronte sisters", as Rob says (purchased at the thrift store for 50 cents thankyouverymuch). While I enjoyed the first chapter I found I was not in the mood to concentrate so hard. Neville's book is perfect for my current attention span.

Watchin':
Many of you may remember that I love old movies. I'm slowly trying to get through the decades past. Times of women in skirts and men in pants with waists at their nipples. Hitchcock is a favorite. The man made a lot of movies. These are the movies that I got through this weekend. All, believe it or not, first time viewings.

1 - Young and Innocent. Verdict: Not my favorite Hitchcock but very entertaining. He was a younger film maker and it shows. However, some of his trademarks are striking in this film.
2 - Lost Angel. Verdict: Cute feel good film. Shirley Temple-esque. Which reminded me to add her to my DVR WishList.
3 - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Verdict: Great movie. Moving and a fine film. Rings too true for our times.
On the non-movie front.
1 - I am about two-thirds of the way through The Age of AIDS, a Frontline program. Verdict: This level of darkness and tragedy is difficult for me to process. However, I feel a sense of devotion and responsibility to those that have been more deeply affected by this disease. It's an interesting look through our history as a nation and how the character of those in the Executive Office so strongly influenced the course of the disease.
2 - National Spelling Bee. Verdict: I am without words. For a fun site that takes a look at the final words through the eyes of baseball check out this MLB article.


Listenin'
My ipod supplies me with music and books on tape. Maryse insists that listening to the books does not count as "reading" them. So, here we go - they're in a different category.
I am EXTREMELY picky about my readers. If you're going to invade my ears for more than 8 hours - you need not annoy the crap out of me. I also can only listen to certain types of books on tape. Books that are driven by plot rather than by characters are a bit easier for me to pay attention to. I just finished, A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. Loved the narrator, loved the story. Two thumbs up. Christopher Moore does a great job with turning phrases. Lends it self well to the auditory experience. The nice thing about audible (where I download my stories from) is the feature where you can see what other books they narrator has recorded. Must keep this in mind for future selections. I presently have Heat by Bill Buford in the queue. How could I pass up a book that has "pasta-maker" in the title? (ps - I just found out this is the abridged version. Pissed. I do not do abridged books.)

Doin':
Workin', Knittin', Readin', Watchin', Thinkin' and just a gettin' it. Oh, I suppose there may have been some farting with my pants off in there too. ;)


Knittin':
We had to travel to Milton, MA last weekend. This meant a stop in at Stupid Snow Goose. A LYS there with which I have a love hate relationship. Most of the hate is really just a matter of personal preference, as the people there have never been anything but friendly and accommodating as I plop my credit card down on their counter. The store is an OCDers nightmare. Yarn everywhere. In piles. In corners. No logical organization. The sale box? Clearly visible. I picked up a bag of Rowan Cork and the pattern book. Seriously, nothing like discontinuing a yarn to get you to purchase it. I came home swatched, abandoned all other projects, and haven't looked back. I am loving the yarn and really loving the project that I'm working on. I'll spare the details for my next post. All the watchin' I have been doing? Totally the fault of this damn yarn and pattern.


Eatin':
Fresh Strawberries. Yummmm.


Lovin':
Aside from the usual swell that I have in my heart for the man who sleeps next to me as I sleep without EVER snoring, I am lovin' my new knitting bag. Unfortunately I cannot find it online. It's a black diaper bag from Targ*t.


Thinkin':
If humans are intelligent enough to manipulate cells to create medicines, vaccines, and treatments for major disease than why oh why have they not created a crystal ball? My family's life is at a cross road. We are searching and seeking the right direction. I have faith we will find it but man, it would be a hell of a lot easier with a damn kick ass crystal ball.

Oh, and tell me how stupid I felt when I realized that, at the age of thirty, the phrase, "for all intensive purposes" is a malapropism. It is actually, "for all intents and purposes". While it is, apparently, a common error I am still shocked. Seriously, how can I count the ways my English teachers have failed me and/or how dense my brain must be?*** PS- I love how the linked to website says the mistake is made by people who do not read much...right, sure....this falls into the same category that people who read are really good spellers.
By the way, this would be a great opportunity to use one of the words (psittacism) that I learned as a result of the Spelling Bee. However, it's 11:21 pm and by brain cannot stretch that far. So, I will be satisfied by just telling you about it.

Hmmm, this is kind of fun. Maybe I'll make this a regular feature. Except in the future we'll have to add a "Spinnin'" category. Yip!



*** My husband just informed me that he has corrected me on this phrase multiple times. In fact, he insists that a few years ago we made a bet and I looked it up and, of course, lost. I guess I cannot realling blame the teachers huh? My thick head is the larger problem.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html

I'd look here first....

Love your blog.

--English major

6/04/2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Sanders said...

Thanks for the reviews, someone reccomended Christopher Moore to me.. I'll have to give him a listen. I love to listen while knitting and I share your love of audible...

My all time favorite Hitchcock film is Notorious. I don't believe it's currently available on DVD, but has been in the past. The scene where Cary Grant is whispering into Ingrid Bergman's ear and he's thisclose makes my neckhairs stand up every time I watch it...

looking forward to seeing cork progress...

6/04/2006 10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we're naming fave Hitchcock films - I vote Rebecca. Then Rear Window.

The other day I was in Urban Outfitters killing time before my shrink session. There I found a "What Would Buddha Do" magic eight ball kind of statue. I asked my family anxiety question: Will we ever have children?

I turned over that fat jolly Buddha and I got "Life is Suffering."

That's the honest to god truth. I miss you.

6/04/2006 11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your post! I too am a lover of books and language (with BS in Chemistry of all things), but anyway, it always kind of irritated me that people assume just because I read a lot, I must be a good speller.

Ummmm! Not in my case. Glad I'm not alone in this.

6/04/2006 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used that very malapropism as an example 2 nights ago and Seth didn't even hear that I was saying it incorrectly... I prefer "intensive porpoises" myself.

I hold no truck with people who degrade listening over reading though it's very, very different, and I am almost more picky about what I'll listen to versus what I'll read. Tiredness prevents me from explaining this in detail but let's just say murder mysteries = good audiobooks. John Irving's "Until I Find You" (at 28 discs) is not so much. One problem is it's hard to skim or skip ahead in audiobooks. Also audiobooks are super knitting/sewing accompaniment but not as nice in bed as a paperback (or even a giant hardcover pushing against my little finger).

6/05/2006 1:16 AM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Yum, Yum Strawberries.
So you are at a crossroads of some sort? You know what Yogi Berra said: When you come to the fork in the road, Take it.
I hope that helps.... Being STUCK is a whole new problem in addition to not knowing what you want to do.

6/05/2006 2:53 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

ok. audio books are like being read to. that's not reading. i'm not "degrading listening" over reading. all i'm saying is that it's different.

end of topic.

6/05/2006 6:51 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Let me know what you think of "The Eight", I was looking at it yesterday at the Library. And thanks for reminding me of how much I love Margater Atwood! Sometimes I forget.

6/05/2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

YAY! She's alive.

6/05/2006 9:28 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Thanks for the list of good books, I love me a good book recommendation.

My husband and I are working our way through the AFI's list of 100 greatest movies, many of which happen to be Hitchcock. I love his movies as well! I think old movies are generally just better and more creative than most things out there right now.

6/05/2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I loved The Eight when I read it. I couldn't put it down, I was sneaking reading it everywhere. I wonder if it would hold up like that if I re-read it? It's been years.

I've never finished a single book by Margaret Atwood. One of these days. The premise is always interesting but somehow I can walk away from the book.

I read a lot and I'm fairly proficient at spelling, but what good is it? [shakes fist at spellcheck].

6/05/2006 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for years I said "intensive purposes" and even when someone FINALLY corrected me, I decided that "intensive" made sense too. ;) [though now I always say 'intents and'].

enjoy the strawberries and the cork! :)

[hitchcock: rear window is my fav! ]

6/05/2006 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny - I just brought up the debate of whether it counts as reading if you listen to books as well.

I'm headed over to audible right now to check out A Dirty Job!

6/05/2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

Mm, I like The Eight AND strawberries. And now you're getting classic advice from my Mom...another one is 'decide to make a decision'. Glad to see you're back! :)

6/05/2006 3:37 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

I LOVED Alias Grace!

6/05/2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

We must be thinking alike because I just posted on my blog about old movies. I caught "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" on TCM yesterday. I wasn't going to watch it, but it was close to the climax that I love. This is not a typical tearjerker but I always cry through the last 30 minutes of the movie.

I have trouble with audiobooks that give me too much description. I prefer lighter books with lots of dialogue on audio. I have trouble understanding deeper books without seeing the words.

6/05/2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm with you on the readers - must like the reader! And most authors should NOT be allowed to read their own books. They're authors, not orators or actors.

Two favorite readers are Jim Dale (Harry Potter) and C.J. Crit (the first six Stephanie Plum books).

6/06/2006 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat. I hope to get out of it soon. we will see :)

6/09/2006 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home