Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Oh, I wish I were a little bar of soap. Bar of soap.


I cracked Mason Dixon Knitting last week. I read this often because it's like having a little bit of Ann and Kay in your hands and really, what could be better than that? (Man, do I ever sound like a freaky stalker lady.) However, I hadn't yet knit something anything from the book.

I was thinking that I should make something for Rob's sister, as a thank you for letting us crash her house for a bit. We are travelling to visit her and the rest of the family in a few weeks. It's a family reunion, Kentucky style. Rumor has it that there will be some mullets in the house. Being the token Northern Person they think I'M THE WEIRD ONE. All I know is that I'm going straight for the Banana Pudding* screw Southern Hospitality, get out of my way.

Back to Rob's sister. Cathy loves lavender so we often take some yummy smelly something. I thought that I would bring some soap this time around. What better to go with a bar of soap.


A Warshrag.

Genius. Pure Genius.


* The best Banana Pudding I've ever had? Holiday Inn, Athens Georgia. Crazy. I never would have known it was there. All unassuming in its creepy hotel restaurant buffet. I discovered this jewel while on jury duty. They took us out to lunch every day and, fortunately, Athens has a plethora of fabulous soul food locales. I never would have taken the Holiday Inn for one of them. Apparently some old lady who lived in town got up to make it every morning. Pure bliss. I dream about that Banana Pudding. I also sing this song about day old banana pudding (I think it's by Southern Culture on the Skids?) every time I think about eating Banana Pudding. Clearly I have too much time on my hands.


18 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

a friend of mine who grew up in the south makes really good banana pudding. with the vanilla wafers and everything. who knew it was a southern thing? i guess it is.

7/26/2006 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm, banana pudding. it must be a Hungarian thing too, 'cause I know my Hungarian grandma never ventured farther south than NYC until we moved to Florida for a few years.

7/26/2006 5:04 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

I want some banana pudding RIGHT NOW! Thanks for nothing, cause there ain't any.

;-)

7/26/2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I started making those dish cloths last week and I haven't stopped yet. I think I've got 8 now. Can you say addicting?
Oh, and banana pudding? Now I want banana cream pie. Thanks A LOT.

7/26/2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

You know Southern Culture on the Skids?! I love "Daddy was a Preacher" and "8 Piece Box".

7/26/2006 5:27 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

i'm obviously lacking in southern culture. i've had collard greens, but i have never had banana pudding... or heard of the southern culture on the skids.
what yarn did u use?

7/26/2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

I made it through 1 and a half dish cloths and then moved on... :)

BUT. I adore, adore, adore vinegar BBQ, banana pudding and cornbread. But maybe that's a Carolinas thing? I actually like the vinegar BBQ more than tomato (but don't tell anyone, 'cause they might take away my honerary Texan card)... :)

7/26/2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

I want some banana pudding!!! Please.. I'll give you soap! lol

7/26/2006 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess they'll be glad to have a token northerner in their midst! enjoy ky. i try. and, i've never had a bad meal in athens, though hotel buffets are notoriously bad.

my grandma make banana pudding all the time. she showed me how, once. but she didn't make it from scratch like you're supposed to. it's very involved. you make the pudding part for real. she used a box mix.

ever seen SCOTS in person? there was lots of fried chicken flying in that room, lemme tell ya!

7/27/2006 9:23 AM  
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

YaHA - banana pudding. It is So Good - and we like it up here in Chicago too -

Watch out for them flyin' Mullets -

7/27/2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Banana pudding is so yummy! That's funny that while you were in jury duty, the best tasting banana pudding was from a Holiday Inn. Love it!
Cute dishrag too!

7/28/2006 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! Now what?? How about a recipe?

7/28/2006 6:50 AM  
Blogger Anne Margaret said...

Southern Culture on the Skids! Yikes, suddenly i'm back in college - and I really need a beer! Thanks for the mention.

And by the way, as a Virginian I think I can safely say that 99% of banana pudding makers use pudding mix (vanilla or banana are acceptable) and just add sliced bananas and vanilla wafers in preferred patterns (layers, on the bottom only, just on the top, etc.) It is so popular because it is so easy to make and it is COLD! We need that this week!

7/28/2006 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand the mullet thing. Can you ask them Why??

7/28/2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

But where's the cool soap? Cool warshrag that is, tho.

7/28/2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Mmmm.... banana.... a cyclone destroyed Australias banana crops a while ago, and they're now so expensive noone can afford them! Sigh.

7/30/2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey! I live in Kentucky [now]! But I don't think I live in the mulleted part. I live in the most northern tip near Cincinnati. It is definitely more country than I am used to in St. Louis, but I'm sure as I get more time to get familiar with the place I'll find more of the city bits.

7/31/2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I've just knit 4 of those warshrags. they are totally addictive.

8/02/2006 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home