Friday, July 07, 2006

Reader Wrap-Up

I've been reading quite a bit these last few months. I do this every once in awhile - have these insatiable urges to read whole days away. When I am rich and famous I will do just that. Until then I will read on my way to work, read while waiting for the elevators, read in lines, read at home, read in bed. I've finished the following books recently with the currently finished first.

Heat by Bill Buford
Verdict: This book has had a lot of money poured into it's promotion. However, I think that it is deserving. The author, Bill Buford, is a great writer and does a beautiful job describing his evolution from home kitchen cook to expert butcher, prepper, griller, etc. One of my favorite parts of the book is his description of Big and Small food and the taste memory of those from the Old Country. If you like food - I think you would enjoy this book.

The Bean Tree by Barbara Kingsolver
Verdict: Love. Love. Love. This is the first fiction of Kingsolver's that I've read. I know, I know. I own most of her books, just have not gotten around to reading them until now. This is a great story. Another book that illustrates that the number of pages you use to tell a story does not positively correlate with is magnitude.

Eventide by Kent Haruf
Verdict: I loved this book. I think that many of my feelings about books are somehow, in part, due to the books I've read immediately before (immediately below). Ken Haruf kicks ass with this book. It's short and sweet. The prose flows so beautifully. The characters are rich and the story is amazing. Many of the reviews on this book state, in one way or another, that the story "elevates" the reader. This is so true

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb
verdict: This book was too damn long. I'm not against reading a long book, but it requires a tip in the cost benefit scale. This was chosen for my bookclub and, had it not been for that, I would have put it down. I get really angry when authors repeat the same scenes over and over with know real literary purpose. The characters were interesting, the story jarring. The fact that the author could have accomplished the same in a novel half the size will keep me from looking back fondly on this book and will leave me cursing it.

The Eight by Katherine Neville
Verdict: As you know, Elisa gifted me this book for my birthday. I thought it was interesting and was a fun read. I learned a little about chess and really enjoyed the setting of the book - Alergia. Now there would be a fun place to visit.


If you follow any of the links above they will take you to my LibraryThing catalog. This is a tool I found via a commenter (I don't remember who!) that I am totally addicted to. I have not yet gotten all of my books into it. Pretty much all of the knitting books are missing. It is so fun to see everything all organized and looking snazzy! *cough* *cough* total. nerd. *cough*

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to know what other folks are reading. Coincidentally I'm reading "The Eight" right now too!

7/07/2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

I literally JUST finished The Bean Trees myself. SO GOOD! I've read a couple other books by her also and they were all amazing. And I know that I just added a book by Haruf to my "to read" list (couldn't miss a name like that). We must have similar tastes in books.

7/07/2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger Joanne M said...

I just finished reading Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation - funny enough, came in handy when I was on the phone with an INS agent giving me an impromptu citizenship test ("Name 2 presidents that have been assassinated.")

Say, which SnB do you go to? Can you recommend any around town in particular that are cooler than others?

7/07/2006 8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read The Bean Trees last summer and really liked it. i'm not usually into barbara kingsolver's nature thing, but it worked with that story. i've hit a reading phase myself, lately. if you've not read The Time Traveler's Wife, i highly recommend it. i read it in about three days last week.

7/07/2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

I adore the Bean Trees. It's my ex's favorite book and sometimes I still wish we could have taken the lessons from it about family and worked things out. I also love The Poisonwood Bible almost as much. The Eight is one of my favorites, and I was actually thinking about I Know This Much Is True this morning - I read it and liked it, but I enjoy long books. Have you read any Sarah Waters or Emma Donoghue? Thanks for sharing! AND, how do you balance knitting and reading? It's such an issue for me!

7/07/2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

Thanks for the reviews! I'm always on the lookout for good stuff to read. I saw that library thing too and it really spoke to the geek in me.

7/07/2006 9:24 AM  
Blogger Sanders said...

Love Kingsolver! Animal Dreams is one of my favorite books...

Also Love LibraryThing! I love seeing who else owns the same books I do, and what else they have that I need to check out...

I'll have to look for Eventide, I've found several books I really liked from the list of what you're reading. Keep up the great reviews!

7/07/2006 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Bean Tree. I love all of Kingsolver's books except the POisonwood Bible. That just didn't do it for me; I never even finished it. But the rest: excellent! And I picked up "Heat" the other day. I can wait to start in on it!

7/07/2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I, too, love all the Kingsolver books (including the Poisonwood Bible, although I think I listened to that on tape). Hmm, must go check out that LibraryThing...

7/07/2006 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BeanTree was great. I second the recommendation for the Poisonwood Bible. It was a powerful story, well told, well drawn.

I liked the Eight more than you seemed to. I liked the historical context, and the drawing together of the storylines at the end.

7/08/2006 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you liked The Bean Trees, you've GOT to read Animal Dreams. It's incredible! Thanks for sharing your reading. Have you ever read Ann Patchett? She's amazing.

7/08/2006 7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you liked Bean Trees, you'll flip over Animal Dreams by Kingsolver. I think it's her best. And have you read Ann Patchett? Really wonderful writer. Thanks for sharing your reviews.

7/08/2006 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reviews - I love seeing what other people are reading. I have been wanting to read Heat and totally agree with you about I Know This Much Is True. I only didn't put that down because a) I'm anal and b) I loved She's Come Undone. Will have to check out The Bean Trees too!

7/12/2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

i loved "i know this much is true." i loved it so much that i was sad when it ended. yes. i know. that's insane.

you have to read the poisonwood bible.

7/13/2006 2:02 AM  
Blogger Sneaksleep said...

I have a couple Kingslover books sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get to them, too. Looks like now I finaly will!

7/13/2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger Sanders said...

I'll have to second the Ann Patchet reccomendation! Bel Canto is one of my all time favorites!

7/14/2006 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read my book. Just got published for the first time after trying for years. So exciting! Access it at trinityenterprise.ca. Title: Underemployed. Author: K. Doan.
You can download the first chapter for free if you like.
If anyone sees this and reads the book, let me know what you think at my email, katie70@shaw.ca. That would make my day. Thanks.

1/18/2007 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home